Tuesday 29 October 2013

Rough and ready -- chair envy

It's rained for weeks - mud city!
So the other day a pair of free chairs came my way. (Thanks Lynn!)  They were wrought iron swivel type bar height stools.  Rusty and with almost no seat cushions left.  I was in love!  I imagined them sanded down with new seats placed next to my iron maiden and my ottoman.

The trouble was, I didn't have any fabby fabric to set them up with.  Who wants to pay 50$ a yard for fabric? -- I wanted a free solution to materialise :)  after all free stuff shouldn't cost you money!!!! I had to think fast, I was too eager to get started on them so had to take extreme care not to go near a fabric store.  Then the idea came...   Burlap, I love the look of it-- it is rough and yummy all at the same time, AND I knew where it was free (favourite word again!)  for the asking!!!  My neighbourhood - roast their own - coffee shop.  Thank you Rock Island Coffee!

I snagged 2 empty coffee bags just for the asking.  One said Guatemala, one just had the weight and type of bean on the front.  They were perfect!  I decided to not use the printed side - cause they didn't match :(   But first things first.  I sanded the chairs down using my sanding block, so much easier than using paper.  Soon they were smooth and ready.

I dismantled the seats, turns out the pressed fibre board was in shreds, had to be thrown out.  No matter, I had some ends of 1/2 inch or so plywood and traced the shape and took my jig saw and cut out the bottoms.  The foam was in reasonable shape so I kept that.  Because there was no fabric cover to trace, I had to make my own pattern.



technical stuff!
I took the board, placed it on the burlap and took the next handiest measuring tool I had -- a nail file -- and used it to make the pattern. (Hey, I didn't go to school for this stuff, I make it up and use what I have!)  I made a mark on the nail file and measured out from the edge of the wood and traced a shape about 4 inches bigger than the stool.   Then just to be extra sure I cut  the burlap an inch bigger than my pattern.  The little voice in my head said you can work with too big, but who can tolerate too small!  Turns out it was a good call.  I needed the extra.  Science sm-ience ha!

I put them together, it worked.  I took extra care to get the corners tight -- that's the difference between an amateur job and a snazzy one!  BUT ... OH NO...  I loaned my industrial staple gun to a friend who had just gone away and would be gone for 2 weeks.  Who has time for that!! I needed my gun.  In my fervor I used push pins (readily available)  I just needed to see them together.  The corners slackened. But I got the gist.  On a practical level I added some stick-on pads to the bottom of the stool legs, I hate the sound of metal scraping the floor.  Now to add the wow factor... 

In my craft / junk/ floral  workroom I have a bin of fabric samples.  Last Christmas I made a tree of floral rosettes using some tweedy fabric samples.  Perfect!  I stripped the tree and re-purposed the rosettes.  Yes!  the wow factor I was looking for.

Love!
Even though they aren't finished  'cause my friend won't return for at least another week,  I assembled them for a picture to show you.  I can't wait on stuff like that.  I'm the type of girl that forces people to open their  Christmas gifts early - so to tame the urge, I shop on Christmas eve. Oh well, we all have our faults.

A friend commented on the chairs "do you think they'll be itchy??" My response?  Hell yes, keep your pants on!   Sometimes beauty comes at a cost!



TD










No comments:

Post a Comment